Sunday, February 24, 2008

Maybe a surprise to no one...


...but I am a nerd. Or most certainly I am turning into an economics nerd. If these articles don't prove it, I don't know what will. Between my interest in blogs like this, and reading Age of Turbulence, I think I would have been an Economics professor in an alternate universe.

On the popcorn article, given that theatres are in trouble these days, I wonder why some theatre chains don't just drop the price of a movie really low and charge better food? Kind of like how the "upscale" bowling alleys are remaking themselves into bars and places to hang out with younger folks. If the margin on food is way higher then why don't they just have the movies on as a way to drive people into the "store" and then sell better food and drinks to the audience?

Finally, some of the dumbest people seem to be cashiers at movie theaters. That is in fact a gross generalization, and I have interacted with some really great cashiers at theaters, but by and large I avoid food at movies because of the long lines, slow processing, and rude service, and that is on some of the highest margin goods in the place!?!