Wednesday, February 20, 2008

So, will we have a big or small family?


I always had the opinion that the "richer" a society, the smaller the family. Japan and a lot of Western Europe being a prime example of negative population growth. On the flip side, I was under the impression that developing nations had larger families since there wasn't a "Social Security" type of program or a safety net, so having a larger family was the alternative in order to have more kids survive to adulthood and eventually take care of the parents.

But this article was interesting and thought provoking. I have to admit I was drawn to it by the title and the fact I would figure out what made me so special as an only child! But it actually talks about family sizes and when you look in an already wealthy country, the ultra rich actually have larger families than the middle class, etc.

I bet if you drew a graph with net worth on the X axis and number of children on the Y axis, you would get a inverted bell curve or something with larger families at both extremes.

Picture is a Kennedy family picture to prove my point. :)